Tip 1: Get on Google My Business!
After the paid ads comes the maps/Google my business listings. To get found in this box is 100% free, and gets you found on maps on mobile phones as well as Google, so if you have any type of local business, do it (scroll down for tips to make the most of your free listings & stand out). ’nuff said.
Google your product & service & find the directories on the first two pages of the search results.
There are hundreds, if not thousands of niche and broad business directories online, where your customers go to find services. You might already have listings on the big ones, like yellow pages, true local etc, but what about the niche sites that directly apply to your industry, or your client’s industries?
One of the easiest ways to find out what directories will benefit your industry most, is to Google it. The directories you find listed in the first two pages of Google have worked hard to rank there and you can piggy back off their work until you can invest in your own digital marketing.
Make the most of your business directory listings & stand out from the crowd!
While submitting your business to directories, there are a few things you can do to improve your chances of getting the lead/call/enquiry over your competitors also listed on the site.
1. Get prepared in advance!
- Collect 5-10 photos of your business location, products and services to showcase.
- Have your logo handy in a large size (that you can downsize/adjust if needed
- Create a hero banner. You can use any old photo for this section, but I recommend creating something that stands out. include your slogan/logo or any important information, photos – anything that you want to highlight. Keep this image in an editable format, so you can adjust its size to match the requirements of different listing sites. Need help with this? Contact us.
- if you don’t already have one, create a generic email account you can use specifically for this purpose. Unfortunately, publicly listing your email address anywhere online often results in SPAM emails. Having an admin@, info@ or hello@ email address can save your personal account getting overwhelmed.
- If you have any testimonials, get a couple of those handy as well.
- if you post on a site that allows it, share your listing with any existing clients you have to post a review about their experience. Reviews are GOLD for creating credibility for any business!
- Write a unique business description on each site – don’t copy and paste.
2. Make a list of the directories you list on, and your login information.
Keep a spreadsheet or use a password system like LastPass to save your login information for each directory. It is also good to set a time in the future to review your listings/update any old information. Depending on the site, 3-6 monthly should be enough.
3. Complete ALL relevant information on your listing.
Yep, it’s a pain. But if you started this off prepared, you should save some time! Fill in every relevant section to your business. Why? Well, coming back to the plumber example, if you go to Oneflare or hiPages looking for a plumber, and theres 10 listings, and half of them do not have a complete profile, are missing information or have no reviews/photos… You’ll choose the ones that provide that information. Even if you’re better than the competition, your customers will choose them over you if they don’t have all the information online.
Get on the bigger business directories & review sites in Australia…
Lastly, here is our current list of the most important (free) directory and review sites to get listed on in 2020.
- True Local – add your business
- Local Search – add your business
- Yelp – add your business
- Yellow Pages (sensis) – add your business
- HotFrog – add your business
- InfoBel Australia – add your business
- Show me Local – add your business
- Word Of Mouth – add your business
- Start Local – add your business
- Flying Solo – add your business
- 2Find Local – add your business
- Business Listings – add your business
- LocalBD – add your business
- DLook – add your business
- National Directory – add your business
- Search Frog – add your business
- Aussie Web – add your business
- Business Seek – add your business
- Trust Pilot – add your business
- LinkedIn – for B2B businesses, this social media platform is worth the effort.
- PureLocal – add your business
There you have it. I hope this helps!